Thursday, October 23, 2008

Writing Greatness

Parent teacher conferences. The three most hated words for any high school student. I paced up and down the hallway anxiously awaiting my parents arrival.

"Tommy, your teacher thinks you ought to join the newspaper staff. So, tomorrow you are going to get the form and see how you like it," my mother said soon as she opened the door.

I pleaded with her to reconsider. She was unknowingly sentencing me to popularity suicide. This was the worst thing that could have happened to me.

I joined the staff and that same day I was named co-sports editor. I thought to myself, "Hey, this could be worse. I am writing about something I actually care about." I turned in one solid story after the next. Coaches and players were eager to get their hands on my sports section.

In writing, my popularity increased immeasurably. I became close friends with the entire football team, the coaches and a good portion of the student body. I was hooked.

Now, I am a junior at the University of Southern California and am still actively pursuing my dreams of writing greatness.  One day, I will write and broadcast my own material on ESPN.

I look back now and realize that writing is the best thing that could have ever happened to me. It is something that will be with me the rest of my life.  

No comments: