Thursday, October 23, 2008

When I grow up....

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

I have no idea. Not anymore.

I used to have an interest in print journalism. I think that's changed by now though.

In high school I began my "journalism career" by writing for my student newspaper--freshman year as a freelance writer, sophomore and junior year as a staff writer, and senior year as the editor-in-chief.

It was an experience at a summer program that truly steered me in the direction of journalism. Through a past editor-in-chief of my student newspaper, I heard about the Northwestern University National High School Institute of Journalism. I applied, got accepted and spent six very fun, but very stressful weeks in Evanston, Illinois. Through NHSI, I honed my writing skills and reporting skills. Therefore when it came time to pick colleges, Northwestern was at the top of the list.

But several months later, after getting rejected early decision to Northwestern and being completely distraught, I considered other journalism schools, and only journalism schools (I was very particular at the time). I saw USC's journalism school as the strongest of the ones I'd been accepted to. I applied and was accepted at USC as a print journalism major and started my way as a journalism major in the Annenberg School.

I spent my freshman year working for the student newspaper at SC as a graphic designer, and was lucky enough to find an internship the summer after my freshman year at a Jewish magazine in San Francisco.

To me, landing an internship right out of the gate (after the first year of college) was a feat in itself. I spent eight weeks working for the magazine and was given the freedom to write really cool local, perspective pieces about the Jewish community in the Bay Area.

I finished the internship with a slew of clips, and much more experience under my belt.

My next two years, I bounced around from section to section of the newspaper--from news and design, to lifestyle and design, and at one point, all three sections (stupid idea). At the same time I was dealing with the difficult curriculum of the Annenberg School, learning broadcast writing and reporting, a concept completely foreign to me, and working a job that gave me backdoor experience to the technology of broadcast journalism.

I also developed an interest in political science. I first considered a minor in law and society in sophomore year, and by the end of my sophomore year had declared a double major in political science.I knew my parents were antsy about me declaring a major (journalism) in a dying profession, and I wanted to reassure them (and myself).

So it was no surprise then when the summer after sophomore year I spent my time working for a media group in Israel, doing mainly research and some graphic design (which was the best part). Through this fellowship though I was able to realize it's time to look outside the box and find something that really interests me. I also realized that while I really enjoyed journalism, I wasn't enthused about writing anymore.

So now---after over 2 months in Israel (June-August), dropping 2 newspaper sections (it was too much to handle and I no longer wanted to do it), and and over 2 months interning at a local television station in LA, I can safely say that I no longer am interested in print journalism, but am interested in journalism in general, from the technological perspective: whether online journalism, graphic design, layout or even broadcast journalism.




No comments: