Thursday, November 20, 2008

Not Your Top Chef

I was poked, prodded and forced to drink a thick substance known as Barium. It was my junior year of high school and I underwent a series of medical tests. Doctors could not diagnose the unpleasant feeling and pain I was experiencing. I lost 22 pounds.

One nutritionist purposed a strict new diet that involved foods that I had otherwise never consumed. I learned that the majority of foods I had been eating were highly acidic and thus problematic.

Acid reflux changed my life. It is also the reason I am a cooking extraordinaire.

I learned to prepare my own meals combining all of my new favorite foods. My secret: I follow a guideline that illustrates which foods I can and cannot consume. I then combine at least three protein oriented items with several taste satisfying condiments. This allows for a tremendous amount of creativity and diversity.

Now, a junior at USC, I cook for a handful of my friends within my fraternity. I get satisfaction out of people's reactions. I also encourage constructive criticism so that the next time I make a similar dish, I can encorporate new ideas.

The Food Network is also the source of my inspiration. Giada De Laurentiis, a network star, has inspired several of my favorite Italian dishes to date. Don't get me wrong, I have no intention on being on Bravo's Top Chef. But I would like to continue to further my culinary skills.

No comments: