Thursday, September 18, 2008

Springtime Snow

I love snow storms in the spring. Coming from Pittsburgh, PA, saying that is practically taboo. Most of my fellow Pittsburghers see April snow as some sort of curse. Everyone gets excited by the first snow of the year, usually in mid-November. Enthusiasm for snowy weather sticks around through December as everybody hopes for a "White Christmas." Snow is fun in January and tolerated in February, but by the time March rolls around, the sight of snow sends most people running inside and slamming their doors. If there is even a hint of snow in April, it is as though the world is over and they might as well lock themselves inside and never come out. Every few years, a snow storm will hit at the end of March or beginning of April. While everyone else is practically moved to tears in these instances, wondering what exactly is keeping spring so tied up, I always get very excited. In my mind, if it's going to be cold, it might as well be snowing.
I love love love snow. At any time of year, no matter how much snow there has already been. Ironically, I hate being cold but I am willing to stand outside in 8 degree wind chills if it's snowing. I'm not sure why, but I think snow is the happiest thing in the whole world. It is soft and fluffy and every single flake is unique and beautiful. How could anyone not love snow? It provides countless hours of entertainment. Whether sled riding, building snow igloos and snowmen, skiing or making snow angels, there is nothing quite as innocent and natural as playing outside in the snow.
I think I love it so much because it is simple. What is more simple than something that provides happiness and entertainment that literally falls from the sky? So why argue when the last snow of the season comes in April? I know people are sick of being cold, but if they could just find the excitement inside of them saved from that first November snowfall, I think they would realize how wonderful a spring snowstorm is.

No comments: